Fashion is a part of life that needs to be looked after just like any other phase. Your fashion style tells a lot about your personality and you as a person. With major shifts in the industry of fashion, we are grateful for this one fact that now we can opt from various trends and own what we like. But as the fashion movement is rushing forward, people have become choosy and also prefer fast fashion over everything. They fail to realize how fast fashion is maybe light on pockets but is harmful to the environment in the longer run.
But a lot of people have come to this realization and at a slow pace; Sustainable fashion has started to enter the fashion industry. Here are a few key pointers:
- According to the UNFCCC, carbon emissions from the apparel industry are set to cross 60 percent by 2030. In Asian countries like India and China, fast fashion trends have increased the carbon footprint per garment, due to the use of coal-fuelled plants.
- Another report by McKinsey in 2016named “Style that’s sustainable: A new fast-fashion formula” claimed that fashion was witnessing a major change in buying trends, with production doubling from 2000 to 2014, and the purchase index of an average consumer increasing by 60 percent.
- According to a survey by McKinsey, the pattern of consumers is changing globally, as two-thirds of buyers have now inclined to spend more on eco-friendly clothes.
- The textile industry in India has also come up with measures to promote eco-friendly clothing.
So what is Sustainable fashion?
Sustainable fashion is said to be the kind of fashion that recycles the waste to produce good quality clothes. These clothes come with benefits since they cause little damage to the environment and last longer. Brands who care little about the ecological balance use an excessive amount of natural resources in the production of the clothes. While the brands that promote sustainable fashion use cotton, jute, and other eco-friendly resources. The thing about Sustainable fashion is:-
- You end up owning high-quality products.
- It is eco-friendly and lasts longer than the usual products.
- It is used by recycling waste material into something fruitful.
- It feels good to wear something trendy yet comfortable
Growth of Sustainable fashion in India
Sustainable clothing is growing at a rapid speed in India and for that matter, even the Textile Minister of India has come ahead to lead into the country. At the event of Lakme Fashion Week, Smriti Irani commented, “As a proud Indian, I stand here today to witness history. I would like to tell the United Nations that this has become possible due to the initiative of the industry, IMG Reliance and Lakme Fashion Week. We are celebrating the 150th birth anniversary year of Mahatma Gandhi, who asked us to be the change we wish to see in the world. The sustainability pact we have signed today is reflective of that very thought of the Mahatma. Never before have 16 of the biggest brands in India come together to save the earth. The combined industry value of the 16th signatories of the resolution is around 30,000 crore rupees. Everything we consume, we have to consume responsibly. The step taken today makes for not only responsible business but also smart business. The Sustainability Report 2018 states that sustainability is the 4th criterion considered by consumers while choosing products. I am grateful that the United Nations in India is also here to support this endeavor. Best wishes for this amalgamation and confluence of what is purely Indian thought.”
A recent survey by YouGov in India revealed that a majority of shoppers prefer sustainable clothing above others while buying fashion items, even though material, fit, design and price have a more controlling influence. New data shows that more than 83% of people consider the sustainability manufacturing process while buying fashion products.
Brands that provide Sustainable fashion clothing
A lot of brands have emerged these days that are the flag bearer of Sustainable fashion. One of these major brands is Artless that motivates people into buying Sustainable fashion and follows the guidelines of Ethical fashion.
Our brand wants every person to acknowledge how it is necessary to adopt this movement. Our brand provides premium quality clothes for men and also other homely needs like home décor, kitchen essentials, and office stationery. We aim at spreading the word of Sustainable fashion among the masses and we strive to provide the best services to our customers.